Monday, February 13, 2012

Fluent Reading

The thing that stood out to me in these readings was the importance of fluency. The readings discussed how learning fluency is a constant ongoing process. If a child can read the words and read them very fast that doesn't necessarily mean that they understand the words. I feel that Understand what you are reading and writing is a crucial part of language acquisition.


If a child can read out-loud and follow all of the reading rules are they fluent? If a child doesn't understand what they are reading, are they actually reading?

2 comments:

  1. I also agree that understanding what you are reading and writing is a crucial part of language acquisition. I don't agree that reading faster is the way to go. I think teachers should focus more on comprehension rather than speed and accuracy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have administered many one-minute fluency tests. The child reads as many words as possible in 60 seconds, and I write down how many words they pronounced correctly over how many words they attempt. (29/40 words) So, a student could get 90-100% words correct, but not have a clue as to what they've read. I believe a reader can be very fluent without comprehending the material.

    ReplyDelete